$79 FREE SHIPPING IN AUSTRALIA | We Ship Worldwide |NEW Flat Item Untracked Lower Shipping Fee Option!
October 04, 2018
We're finally getting to enjoy the cool crisp air of spring in Australia now and in sunny Queensland we get the best of it with our famously golden sunshine! That time of year when the other side of the world is bracing for a wintry Christmas, we're just welcoming the smell of freshly cut green lawns and rainbow-hued blooms. It's a great refreshing time to be in the outdoors again, catching glimpses of garden life creeping back--much like the beetles we're featuring in this quick card tutorial. There's just something special about vintage-inspired plant and insect species in vintage illustrations and we love collecting vintage ephemera containing these. Hope you'll like this one which allows us to suggest some fun ways to use a new 'Stains' clear stamp we just listed from Kaisercraft!
Vintage Insect-themed Birthday Card Using 'Stains' Clear Stamp Tutorial:
'Happy Birthday To A Rare Specimen'
A page taken from vintage illustration book or naturally-aged old book pages, printed with insect illustration
Image of beetles for card's focal image
Thick card stock paper as card base
Grid/graph paper (for printing or typing 'To A Rare Specimen')
Fancy thick dark-coloured card stock paper scrap (for rub-ons: Happy Birthday)
Rub-ons in white
Kaisercraft 'Stains' clear stamp
Vintage Note Washi Tape
Distressed Inks by Tim Holtz:
Mini Distress Ink - Barn Door
Mini Distress Ink - Pumice Stone
Mini Distress Ink -Faded Jeans
Distress Ink - Tea Dye
Distress Ink - Old Paper
1. Adhere a background image to a base card stock using either a page taken from a vintage illustration book or naturally-aged old book pages, printed with insect illustration. You can add further distress effects to this background image using Distress Inks in Vintage Photo, Tea Dye or Old Paper for example.
2. Using the Kaisercraft 'Stains' stamp, stamp the splotched stain patterns on the edge of the card as shown.
3. Type or print the sentiments , 'To A Rare Specimen' on graph or grid paper, then trim to size and adhere onto a strip of card stock.
4. Using rub-ons, apply 'Happy Birthday' onto a darker-coloured card stock and trim to size to make a focal banner as shown.
5. You'll need to distress the smaller focal bug-themed image to contrast from the background image using Distress Stain ink pads.
6. Using thick double-sided foam tape, adhere the main focal bug-themed image in the centre of the background.
7. Apply the typewritten sentiment on top of the focal image.
8. Apply the 'Happy Birthday' sentiment at near the top edge of the card.
9. Embellish the card further. We used our Vintage Note washi tape and some vintage Dennison labels to add some more interesting elements to this card.
Hope you'll be inspired to perhaps try making this card on our own for your rare special someone and if you want us to see it, don't forget to tag us at @micmoc_shop on Instagram with the hash tag #micmocmakes
March 30, 2018
March 06, 2018
February 23, 2018